Directory of ezines

Sunday, August 9, 2020

Obbssed with disinfecting OR not?

 Working in a care facility for the elderly I know how important cleanliness and disinfectants are for the resident's health. I am a part of the environmental team and responsible for wiping down all touchable surfaces to control germs and viruses that may come from many different sources. We do this daily because we are committed to providing a healthy environment for them to live in.

With so much concern about the spread of COVID-19, we have specific chemicals to use for the virus to help eliminate the spread. Plus there are sanitizing stations everywhere we walk and posted signs on every door and service area. I believe it is wise to take precautions in this kind of environment and I am thankful that our organization is doing this.

I have heard from several people that we have some senior staff that is obsessed with sanitizing and I agree with that. (example I use the sanitize station in the elevator and then walk by the station in the hall and someone says did you sanitize?)  Overuse of anything is usually dangerous or at least harmful. It may eliminate most of the germs for a while but over time they develop into superbugs and become very hard to eliminate.

 I like this definition from the free dictionary "ob•ses•sion. (əbˈsɛʃ ən) n. 1. the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc. 2. the idea, image, etc., itself. 3. the state of being obsessed.

When I leave work it all stays there until I come back. At home in our small complex, we do not wear masks, But we do use common sense and social distancing. I am a firm believer in being exposed to common germs and other viruses to help build up my immune system. But be smart and use common sense.

personal testimony- Two years ago I compromised my immune system with some dangerous chemicals. I did not wear any protective coverings and got cancer cells that affected my immune system. After 6 months of treatments, cancer had been shrunk considerably but was still present. My immune system was week but I did not isolate myself , instead, I continued to go for walks outside and visit activities to help strengthen it. As of today, I have worked every day through this pandemic crisis, and in a few weeks, I will turn 78years old.

This is just some of my thoughts on the current crisis and how I am dealing with it. The one thing I am absolutely sure of is that God is my protector and I am committed to serving him.

Earl


No comments:

Post a Comment